Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How to Julienne the Baby

Annie and Todd and Emmet visited for Halloween, and Annie showed me how you can fix the feed tube of the Cuisinart to julienne the baby. Hurrah! I take it all back about the narrow feed tube. (See blog entry of November 8, 2008.) Now all I can think about are various large objects that might need grating. A pound-plus dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe's, for instance. Or large russet potatoes for potato pancakes. Or a loaf of cheese.

Does this mean I can't let Enzo run the food processor by himself anymore? Oh, it'll be fine! Is he really likely to figure out how to change the feed tube if I didn't figure it out in the five years that I've had the Cuisinart? And I used to sell Cuisinarts, when I worked at Jordano's, the great cooking store, now defunct. I didn't do very well there, and we see why.


*

Annie and I went to see my lard guy. He didn't have it. Apparently it burned in the rendering process. I suggested that I just buy the pork fat and render it myself, but he was out of pork fat. I bought three vegan pork chops for eleven dollars, and we agreed to try again next week. Technically it's the pigs that are vegan, not the pork. Vegan in pig land, means no corn. Human vegans can eat corn, but pig vegans can't. It's complicated.

*

Annie and I made enchiladas together with sauteed onions and butternut squash and corn and cheese. No cumin because I only had whole cumin seeds, but no mortar and pestle and no spice grinder. Because I may actually be retarded.

The enchiladas turned out great, mostly because Annie brought about five dozen amazing fresh corn tortillas from the tortilleria in her town. She described how you buy them still warm, and you can eat them just like that, without anything else. And I can imagine hugging five dozen tortillas, warm and fresh and compact as a tightly swaddled baby. (A baby on a good day--say an easygoing three-month-old.) I'm sure we have something like this in Sacramento. I must find it.

*

Tonight for dinner we're having an actual meal. (As opposed to last night, when we had canned sardines, canned olives, avocado and watermelon.) Tonight: vegan, liberally educated pork chops; chunky apple and pear sauce (I make it with no water and lots of butter and just a little maple syrup and Trader Joe's pumpkin pie spice, which is really good, with cardamom and a bit of lemon peel; potato and parsnip pancakes--grated in the new, large feed tube. Because I can.

No comments: