Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pie for Breakfast

The best thing about Thanksgiving is the leftovers. Especially the pie.

I'm in the middle of a murder trial, and even though I'm not the lead attorney, it is a bit distracting. So our Thanksgiving was a simple one. And I like every part about that except--not enough leftovers!

(About being a lawyer. I've always hated responsibility, and I still don't like that part. But I remember from all the crap jobs I've had how demoralizing it was to screw up at things that weren't supposed to be that hard. Like here I am with my Master of Fine Arts cleaning the shit off the walls of the group home for retarded girls--and I'm doing a shitty job at this shitty job. So I went to law school, and if I do screw up at least it's at something hard. And I try really hard not to.)

Back to our Thanksgiving. I made the Jim Lahey bread the night before and cooked turkey thighs in the slow cooker overnight. Enzo and I made Welsh Tea cakes with dried cranberries instead of currants. We used my beautiful lard and my beautiful griddle. So we had a picnic of turkey sandwiches, grandma's stuffed celery, Lay's potato chips (a food that can't be improved on--I marvel at them every time), sparkling cranapple juice, and cranberry tea cakes. I also got a bottle of slightly nicer than usual red wine. We were at the park by ten, played till lunchtime, and I did not get arrested for my open container. (Discretion is key, as I constantly try to explain to my clients.)

When we got home, Enzo and Teresa took naps and I made apple pie. And my dear, I can lie down in my grave with some degree of complacency. I have done it. It was the perfect crust--you know it by the shattering of the top crust at first slice.

Here is my annoying half weight, half volume recipe. (From the cookbook Fat.)

500 g flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 tsp salt
125 g unsalted cold butter
125 g. leaf lard
2/3 c ice water.

Cut the butter into the flour first, then the lard. Use pastry cutter and/or cold fingers. You know the rest. And if you don't, go read Fanny Farmer. This makes three very generous crusts, or four skimpy ones.

So I've been eating pie for breakfast, and now it's almost gone. Normal life looms.

I want to include the recipe for Cousin Jack Cookies, which my mom emailed to me when she knew I had lard. My mom said she got the recipe from a neighbor, and then when grandma Clara tried them, she said, "Cousin Jack Cookies!" (Cousin Jack is lang for Cornish--or maybe Welsh--who knows.)

1/2 c lard
1/2 cup butter (probably salted)
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beated
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
currants (or finely chopped raisins?) (or dried cranberries? adds Kate)

Sift together the flour, salt, spice. Cream lard, butter, sugar. Add beaten egg to fat/sugar. Blend in the flour mixture and the currents.Roll 3/8 inch thick and cut out with a round (scalloped is nice) cutter. Cook on a dry griddle-both sides until toasty looking. (Works better with baking parchment on the griddle, adds Kate.)














Getting By:

No comments: