Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lard Balls


I wasn't sure how much lard the lard man intended to bring me. It seemed presumptuous to ask for a lot, since he was giving it to me for free. I could bring a five quart Tupperware, but what if he only brought me a couple of cups of lard? It would look as if I'd been expecting more. An ungracious beginning.

So I brought a large ziplock bag and Enzo's old insulated lunch box to keep it cold. When we got there, the lard man heaved this giant thick plastic bag over the table, filled with strangely folded white stuff. It looked like a brain--perhaps a whale brain. Fifteen pounds of of pure pork fat, the good stuff from around the kidneys, which apparently is called leaf lard, even though you still have to render it to make usable lard. He charge me for it too--ten bucks, which is fine. He also, I couldn't help noticing, did not render the lard. Also fine. Better in fact. I think.

The only trouble was that we happen to have the smallest refrigerator you can buy. Our house has an adorable alcove in the kitchen for the icebox, which is what people had when the house was built. Only one fridge at Sears fits in our alcove. It is very small.

Normally I adore being deprived of all choice. I hate standing in the toothpaste aisle frozen by the pros and cons of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda; wondering if my teeth qualify as sensitive or if they're just crappy; longing to live in a nice old-time communist block country with ONE fucking toothpaste. Given choice, I feel I have to make the right choice, and it's just a burden.

Buying our fridge was easy--only one option, hurrah, and it was the cheapest one too. But it is a tad small. This lard would fill the entire freezer or most of the big bottom shelf of the fridge. And I already knew Teresa would be totally grossed out. I was a little nonplussed myself. It was just so...animal. There was no denying the slaughterhouse. And so fat.

When we got home I heaved the bag onto the counter and cut it open. The folds of fat opened slightly, and the whole thing looked bigger than ever. If anyone needs motivation to lose fifteen pounds, try looking eye to eye with fifteen pounds of pure pork fat. It's a LOT. Clearly I would need a cauldron.

I read the Fat cookbook that I got from the library on how to render lard. You can do it on the stove top or in the oven. They key is low heat. Well obviously I would use the slow cooker. I started cutting the fat into one inch cubes. It took a very long time. I ended up freezing about ten pounds of cubed fat in ziplock bags. (It took up a lot less room once it was cubed and squeezed together in a ziplocks.) And I put three pounds of fat in the slow cooker with one cup of water on low for four hours. And I threw some of the fat away. I was weary of the whole project.

The fat warmed and melted. The smell was faintly industrial, yet animal--repulsive, in fact. And I don't repulse easily. Next time I'll run an extension cord and put the slow cooker outside. (My mom's suggestion for the slow cooker onion-eyes problem.)

But it did work. I strained it and cooled it, and now I think all my friends and family are getting lard for Christmas. I could use a melon-baller and give everyone exquisite little boxes of lard balls--waxy, white, slightly iridescent--a pearl among fats.

No comments: